Valve and Nexon Korea have partnered together to unveil Counter-Strike Online 2. The upcoming first-person shooter is the sequel to the free-to-play, 2007 shooter Counter-Strike Online, which has been a huge hit phenomenon all over Asia.
As stated in the press release...
|“||Under the terms of the agreement, Nexon Korea will develop and be the exclusive publisher of Counter-Strike Online 2 in Japan, Korea, China and other areas in Southeast Asia. Nexon Korea intends to continue to leverage its proven development expertise and deep understanding of local markets to make Counter-Strike Online 2 one of the leading first-person shooter titles in the region.||”|
Counter-Strike Online 2 offers enhanced graphics, real-time shadows, more realistic gameplay and powerful impact sensations powered by an enhanced version of the Source engine. The game also feature various game modes enhancing its original game experience with new and improved environments, weapons, equipment customization and more.
During the Closed Beta Testing (CBT) in Korean region, beta testers can only play during the event period. Maps was a heavily modified version of the Counter-Strike: Source with new details, textures, models and so on. The inventory, or barracks, has improved significantly to a simple, small yet with gentle learning curve menu compared to the original in Counter-Strike Online.
The images of the weapons closely follows the original image in previous Counter-Strike Online. The appearance however, has improved with better animations. Example, Colt M4A1 appearance has been changed into M4A1 EOTech and AK-47 has been changed into AK-47 Scoped.
Recruitment of playtesters
- July 16, 2012 ~ 31 July, 2012 (12:00 PM)
Period of test
- August 2, 2012 ~ August 5, 2012 (3:00 p.m. to 9:00 daily)
- 13 & 14 July 2013
- Final best test and snake set giveaway to beta testers.
- Reveal the Big City map.
- Remove EOTech from M4A1.
- 6th August 2013
- Beta test is opened for outsiders.
- Included Big City map which features drivable vehicles and many other functions.
Update 22 August 2013
- Added Weapon Unlock system.
- Added Bomb defuse, Hostage rescue, Assassination, Golden Jeep Defense and Leader Kill modes to Big City.
- Added Jeep.
- Added Bot Sniper Support Force.
- Added VIP models.
Update November 2013
- Included 222,222 more beta testers. Existing ones are given a Nickname Change.
- Added one more Recruit level channel.
Update December 2013
- Implemented Cash point system.
These are the modes so far:
- Submodes: Pistol Battle, Knife Battle, AWP Battle, AWP Forbidden and Capture The Flag (Big City only).
In this training, you'll play as a Terrorist, which later maybe killed by Leet as he finds out you are an undercover cop. This training was added into Campaign mode as the first mission in later updates.
These are the maps available so far in Counter-Strike Online 2:
Different than CSO that only counts until multi kill (Except Human Scenario), the kill system in CSO2 expands:
- First Blood
- First Kill
- Double Kill
- Triple Kill
- Multi Kill
- Ultra Kill
- Mega Kill
- Monster Kill
In addition, new icons are presented whenever a player kills with a:
- Headshot (kill by shooting at the head)
- Grenade (kill with a grenade)
- Wallshot (kill through the wall or an obstacle)
- Jumpshot (kill while jumping or mid-air)
- Assist (enemy finished off by team mate or suicide)
Some special icons also were introduced:
- Lucky Boy (survives a fatal shot)
- One Shot Two Kill (two kills with one shot/grenade)
- One Shot Three Kill (three kills with one shot/grenade)
- Fall Down (death by fall damage)
- Reversal (killing an enemy right after landing)
- Key Player (saving a teammate from getting killed)
- Main article: Achievements/CSO2
|CPU||AMD P4 1.5GHz||AMD P4 3GHz|
|RAM||1 GB||2 GB|
|Graphics Card||Nvidia GeForce FX F2000|
ATI Radeon 9400
|Nvidia GeForce 7600GT|
ATI Radeon X1800
|Operating System||Windows XP (32 bit)||Windows XP|
- One of the characters shown in the trailer, Mao appeared a few times long before he was introduced as a purchasable class for the Terrorists.
- Counter-Strike Online 2 uses Source 2010 engine, similar to the one used by Counter-Strike: Source.
- Counter-Strike Online 2 featured new icons for multiple kill styles; from Double Kill (2 kills in a row) up to Godlike (10 kills in a row), including Wallshot (wall bang).
- During its early development stages, all stock sound files such as the knife and radio commands from Counter-Strike: Source were used as a placeholder. Not long after, Nexon replaced them with their own versions.
- Unlike Counter-Strike Online, there is no spray function in this game. During its early release, players could use the spray but there were no sprites nor designs that would show.
- Counter-Strike Online 2 Korean website
- Counter-Strike Online 2 China website
- Counter-Strike Online 2 Taiwan website